Adderstone Group

Chapel at St Mary’s Hospital in Stannington

 

Sector
  • Leisure
Practical Completion 2017
Address St Mary’s Hospital, Stannington, Northumberland, NE61 6AT
Construction Contractor Taemar Ltd
Project Architect Christopher Baglee RIBA SCA
Gross Development Value Not applicable
Purchase Price Not applicable
Marketing Info

The chapel at St Mary's Hospital is new community centre and not currently being marketed.

Chapel at St Mary’s Hospital in Stannington

Taemar Ltd have completed the conversion of a historic chapel at the former St. Mary’s Hospital in Stannington.

Taemar Ltd completed the remodelling and refurbishment of the chapel at St Mary’s Hospital in Stannington, transforming it into a community centre, on behalf of client Bellway Homes as part of the wider creation of their Stannington Park housing scheme. During the project Taemar Ltd were tasked with ensuring the protection of the Sir Winston Churchill artwork which was uncovered during renovation plans and which dates back to 1943.

Originally known as Gateshead Mental Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital was built between 1910–14 to accommodate 500 patients. The site included a chapel, recreation hall and administration wing.  It became known as St Mary’s Hospital in 1947 when it was absorbed into the NHS and eventually closed in 1995.

As part of Bellway’s plans to create Stannington Park on the site, Taemar Ltd were instructed with restoring the old chapel into a new community centre which would act as a hub for those living in the new rural village.

As part of the works Taemar Ltd were commissioned to carry out stone replacement and repair, repointing, rebuild of loose brickwork and restoration of any deterioration to the building. They were also tasked with renovating the existing stained glass windows, roofing, flooring and connecting all external services in preparation for the opening of the new community hall. 

During preparation works in advance of development, Bellway Homes had discovered the hand-drawn portrait caricature of Sir Winston Churchill on the walls of the recreation hall. The artwork had been partially flooded under rainwater. It is assumed that this was drawn by an inmate performer or a stagehand from the Entertainment National Service Association (ENSA), which was set up in 1939 to provide entertainment for British Armed Forces personnel during the war.

The chapel at St Mary's Hospital is new community centre and not currently being marketed.

Signup to our Newsletter Signup to our Newsletter
Please Select One Or More Areas Of Interest Please Select One Or More Areas Of Interest